Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Team Spirit

I just can't tell you how excited I am to finally have launched J&BT for me to SPEAK ON IT! Since we're still getting to know each other, I thought I would share some background to where the hubs and I have been in our little athletic adventure thus far...

We started our official career (yes, I say we because it was a total TEAM effort) at Oregon State University in Corvallis, OR. My hubs had an amazing opportunity to intern in the Strength & Conditioning department, which he worked hard at and eventually landed an actual position as an Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach. Meanwhile, I was fortunate to land a job in the football office working at the front desk, assisting with recruits, camps, football games and much more!

We became Beaver Believers, and surely it didn't hurt that my brother-in-law played for OSU as well. It was here at Oregon State that my interest in the game of football grew immensely... the passion, the motivation, the dedication, but most importantly... the WELL-BEING of these student-athletes!


I graduated from a Doctorate program in Industrial and Organizational Psychology (Organizational Development), and soon landed a job at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles, CA. It was an amazing feeling to move back home with the family after being away in Corvallis for 4 years, and also to finally begin a career with my education that I long awaited for! What totally put the cherry on the cake was while we were driving from Oregon to move back home to LA, my hubs got a phone call to interview for an Assistant Strength Coach at USC... BOOM! We were back as a dynamic duo at a prestigious university as Trojans!


Although my focus at work is primarily with USC staff, my passion and interest for student-athletes progressed even more at USC. I completed a professional coaching certification at USC which got me thinking... how amazing would this type of coaching opportunity be for our student-athletes?! To provide some assistance and self-realization about athletic goals, academic goals, CAREER goals post-graduation would be such a gift to these hard working individuals who give blood, sweat and tears their entire 4-5 years as a student-athlete [more to come on that topic along this blogging journey with J&BT]!


After 2 years of being with USC, my hubs got a call that lead to an opportunity of a lifetime. He was blessed with a shot at being the Head Strength Coach for the University of Nebraska! As hard as it was for me to leave the PAC-12, it was the start of yet another athletic chapter in our lives together in the BIG TEN conference!


I was even fortunate to keep my job with USC to work remotely... so our house is now split between Trojans and Cornhuskers (predominately Cornhuskers though since we are in Husker Nation!).


There you have it... a snippet of how we got to where we currently are. My plans are to utilize J&BT to continue to reveal my passions little by little. After all... By taking care of myself I'm able to take care of others!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + development by kelly christine studio