Tuesday, May 10, 2016

FIVE Benefits of Membership


Once upon a time, I used to be brand new. Brand new to my graduate degree... brand new to the workforce... brand new to networking... brand new to the professional world. I remember thinking, "now what??" There I was ready to start talking to people that spoke the same language, but where would I meet such people?

A professor once told me that I was going to have to invest a bit of money into annual fees of professional memberships. What is such a thing... [so glad you asked!]?

Whatever your specialty of work is, or the field you earned your degree in, most likely exists professional groups or organizations that you can become a member of. These types of organizations can provide SO much... as much as you want to put into it or get out of it! Some of these things include:

1.  Free subscriptions to journal articles, including recent research studies
2.  Access to job search banks
3.  Networking events
4.  Monthly meetings [where you can meet others in your field!]
5.  Discounts on annual conferences

I've been a member of multiple organizations within my field that have really helped me become part of a community, no matter where I reside! I love the fact that I can meet new people and start new relationships with others in my field, especially having moved to Nebraska. You never know who you will meet and what he/she can bring to your life... or what YOU can bring to there life!

Need help finding a professional organization in your field? Email me and I'd be more than happy to help you out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + development by kelly christine studio